The ARC Centre of Excellence in Exciton Science recognises that the equal opportunity of its members in the development of their career can be affected by family commitments.
To support members with primary carer responsibilities, Exciton Science has established a Carers Fund where our members are encouraged to apply for funding for additional care costs incurred during work commitments such as travel, conference attendance or training. Applications are invited throughout the year.
Definition of Carer Responsibilities
The definition of carer responsibilities is where a person has the primary and sustained responsibility for the care of a dependent family member including:
- Elderly parents or other relatives
- Children/dependants or relatives with a disability/illness
What the Carers Fund covers
Funding is available for additional care costs incurred due to a work conflict with the usual care arrangements. Additional care costs may include, but are not limited to:
- Airfare for a child/dependant to travel with the Applicant.
- Travel costs for a relative/person to accompany the Applicant and to care for the dependant while the Applicant is away working.
- Hire of a carer at the location of the work-commitment.
- Hire of a nurse/carer while the Applicant is travelling for work.
- Before and after school care for children while the Applicant is away working.
If you are unsure about other expenses that would support your carer responsibilities, please discuss with your supervisor.
Applicants must meet the Eligibility Criteria in one of the following two categories:
Recognised Member (as defined in the Exciton Science Membership Policy and Definitions document):
- Has provided written support for the activity from their supervisor.
- Agrees to provide a short written contribution to the executive within three weeks of the conclusion of the work commitment. Participants may be contacted at a later date for Exciton Science to use these contributions in the Annual Report or similar.
Non-member Invited speaker at an Exciton Science organised conference:
- Has sought the support for the request for funding from the Exciton Science Chief Investigator who has supported their invitation.
- Is an invited speaker at an Exciton Science organised conference.
- The host will agree to provide a short written contribution to the executive within three weeks of the event. Participants may be contacted at a later date for Exciton Science to use these contributions in the Annual Report or similar.
An online application form is available on the Member Portal (log in required). Applicants must:
- Explain the intended use of the Carers Fund and how it will contribute towards career goals, including expected outcomes.
- Provide a brief budget outline, which demonstrates that the proposed items/activities are carefully planned and ultimately feasible.
- Include details of any Fringe Benefit Tax that will be incurred. (Please contact Chief Operating Officer if unsure.)
- Provide evidence/supporting documentation, where available, such as an abstract submissions or confirmation of workshop registration.
- Submit your Application at least six weeks before the event or expected travel date.
If you are having any issues meeting these application criteria please contact Centre Chief Operating Officer Kate Lowry at Kate.Lowry@unimelb.edu.au.
Fringe Benefits Tax
Provision of funds to cover the additional costs borne by the applicant will incur Fringe Benefits Tax. Fringe Benefits Tax must be accounted for in your proposal. Please refer to the ATO website for more details.
The Exciton Science Chief Operating Officer will discuss the options for reducing the impact of this tax when claiming your allowances.
Terms and Conditions
- Applications are invited throughout the year.
- An Applicant may apply more than once.
- Applications should be submitted by webform through the Members Portal (log in required).
- Applications will be forwarded to your supervisor for their information.
- All Applications will be assessed by the Exciton Science Executive Committee.
- You will be advised of the outcome within 4 weeks of application.
- Funding can be paid either by reimbursement or organised through Exciton Science directly.
- For reimbursement original receipts will be required to acquit the fund and release payment. The receipts must be provided within one year of the associated work commitment.
- All payments to carers must be incurred through a registered provider who can supply a tax invoice.
- Exciton Science reserves the right to deny funds to Applicants who misrepresent their funding needs.
- If there is a change in circumstances after approval of the funding meaning that the funding is no longer required for the proposed activity, the Applicant must immediately notify Exciton Science. Applicants will be advised if they are still eligible for the Carers Fund.
If you have questions about the process and/or the application form, please contact the Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about support for carers, please contact of the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Draft last updated 3 August 2020
Approved by Executive Committee 3 August 2020